Ok, so that’s a really terrible and scary shot of me about to trim my own hair, but the reality of it is that it can be scary to cut your own hair, especially when you have no cosmetology training whatsoever which is why it’s best to leave it to the professionals! Now, I’m not a cosmetologist, so I don’t know the ins and outs of cutting hair, but I do trim my own bangs (only the bangs!) from time to time. I know all my cosmetology friends are cringing right now…. “Hi guys!” (insert me waving apprehensively).
Helpful tip: most salons will trim your bangs for free if you have had your prior appointment(s) there
I’d been growing out my bangs, and every girl know’s the agony of waiting for your hair to grow. Seriously, it’s a real struggle sometimes. It’s easy to get bored with it and change your mind which is exactly what’s happened to me. I recently looked through photo books of our engagement, wedding, and honeymoon pictures along with all the events in-between, and I couldn’t help but notice my side-swept bangs looked rather good and started getting an itch to have bangs once again. So what’d I do?
I trimmed them…myself!
Now, this is normally where I would tell you “Don’t try this at home!”, but the whole point of my pictorial is to teach you HOW to do it yourself at home.
- Style your hair as you normally would.
- Section off about 3/4 of the hair you normally wear as bangs.
- Pin or clip the remaining hair back out of the way.
- Comb through the section of hair so it’s smooth and straight and all lined up going the same direction.
- Line your fingers up so that they are parallel to the part in your scalp.
- Firmly pull the sectioned hair to the opposite side of where you typically part your hair.
- Holding your sheers vertically (NOT HORIZONTALLY… I REPEAT… DO NOT CUT YOUR BANGS HORIZONTALLY) very lightly clip small, vertical snips all across the section of bangs. See pictures below.
- After the first pass check to see how they look. Are they short enough? Still too long?
- If you need to go shorter, re-comb and repeat numbers 5-7.
- Do these steps until the desired length is met. It’s best to trim off just a little bit at a time.
- Finish styling your bangs swept to the desired side.
- Finish with a sprits of hairspray (Kenra Volume spray 25 is my fav)
Hope this helps those of you who are wanting to trim your own bangs. Good luck! Hope your hair cooperates 🙂 (remember….little, vertical snips…a little bit at a time)